Here are a few of the recent statistics on diabetes according to the American Diabetes Association:
- Nearly 30 million children and adults in the United States have diabetes.
- Another 86 million Americans have prediabetes condition in which blood glucose levels are higher than normal but are not high enough for a diagnosis of diabetes. People with prediabetes are at increased risk for developing type 2 diabetes and for heart disease and stroke.
- The American Diabetes Association estimates that the total national cost of diagnosed diabetes in the United States is $245 billion.
Maintining optimal dental wellness and Healthy blood glucose (or blood sugar) control includes steps like following… a balanced meal plan, engaging in an active lifestyle with sufficient physical activity, and taking blood glucose-lowering medications as you need them over the years. You might also need other medications to control your blood pressure and lipids (cholesterol).
- Control your blood sugar levels. Keep a log of your levels.
- Use your diabetes-related medications as directed, changing to a healthier diet and even exercising more can help. Good blood sugar control will also help your body fight any bacterial or fungal infections in your mouth and help relieve dry mouth caused by diabetes.
- Avoid smoking.
- If you wear any type of denture, clean it each day.
- Lead a physically active lifestyle
- Make sure to brush twice a day with a soft brush and floss correctly daily.
- See your dentist for regular checkups.
Frequently Asked Questions about Diabetes Care: http://nihseniorhealth.gov/diabetes/faq/faq20.html
Visit the following links to learn more: