A smile matters more than you think in terms of physical and mental health. Here are 5 benefits to smiling more.
- Lower heart rate. When you laugh and smile studies have shown that your muscles can be more relaxed, causing a decrease in heart rate.
- A Better mood. Smiling can cause a boost to your mood and an increase in the positive thoughts you experience. Even if you don’t start in the best of spirits, a fake smile can turn into a real one causing those around you to reap the benefits as well.
- Increase productivity. There is a surge of dopamine, endorphins, and serotonin that takes place when smiling. This surge can help you get your work load done in a more upbeat and motivated way.
- Ease pain. Again, the release of dopamine, endorphins, and serotonin all play into this factor. These three neurotransmitters are known to be natural pain killers.
- Live longer. One study even suggests that those who smile more often can live nearly seven years longer.
Remember, you’re never fully dressed without a smile, so spread the joy and smile whenever you get the chance!